Pages

Jan 18, 2014

Day 10: On Retreat: The Church of Gaia Sophia

Nope, I didn't make a mistake in the title. I did not misspell the name of former Greek Orthodox patriarchal basilica (church), later an imperial mosque, and now a museum in Istanbul, Turkey known as Hagia Sophia (Holy Wisdom.)  Instead I am talking about a place that came to me in a dream recently. It was a vivid and complicated dream coming just before I awoke in the morning.

I am walking up a hill.  A woman approaches me on the sidewalk, asking, "Are you looking for the Church of Gaia Sophia?" Until the moment she spoke to me, I was unaware that I was looking for anything. "Of course," was my answer and I knew, at my very core, that I was indeed looking for The Chuch of Gaia Sophia. Beckoning me to follow her, we entered a small door of a nondescript building. Once inside the colorful sanctuary was teeming with people, nearly ever seat filled. I felt a deep sense of calm and belonging.

Although there were other parts of the dream, these images remained the sharpest as the weeks passed. On the evening of January 10th, while attending a Visualizing Your Spiritual Journey retreat, I was encouraged to create a representation of my prayer/hope for the weekend. It had been an anxiety-filled day and I was desperately seeking peace and calm.

I created The Church of Gaia Sophia as part of that prayer:

The Church of Gaia Sophia (Earth Wisdom) - Collage

Having been to the Jesuit Center before, I knew that following All School Prayer, the night would descend into silence until the end of breakfast on Saturday morning. Creating my collage prepared me for rest and resting in the silence.

As yet I do not fully understand all the dream holds for me, but I am waiting, anticipating the wisdom it holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment