Pages

Jan 23, 2014

Day 12: On Retreat: Reach

The whiteness, the blankness, of a piece of Yupo paper beckoned me. My approach to painting is often contemplative, but sometimes it is just for pure kid-like fun. Having used my earlier painting to let go of anxiety I now wanted to play, to experiment. Add water and inks, blow with a straw. Nope.  Grabbing a paper towel I wipe it off and begin again. Ah the beauty of Yupo.

I rummage around in the "Paint Night" 2.0 box that Aletheia has brought to the retreat. Painters tape. Happy Dance! Blue tape now adorns my paper as I tape off a design. Ink, water, more ink blown through an atomizer. A couple of minutes under the hairdryer. Peel off the tape and voila. Meh. This isn't it either. It's a nice base layer so I will just add to it.

Blotting the excess umber ink with a paper towel, I drop green and turquoise onto the paper. Across the table there is discussion about painting with ones eyes closed or using your non-dominate hand. Wonder what would happen if I did that? I grab a foam stenciling brush, put it into my left hand, close my eyes, take a deep breath, and begin to swirl the ink. Opening my eyes I like what I see.


Waves on the beach immediately came to mind. The blue-green evokes memories of the foaming Atlantic at Cape Henlopen, the destination of many childhood vacations. Comfort and peace wash over me. Even during a storm I felt safe tucked into my bed in our apartment just off the beach in Lewes, knowing that the next day the shoreline would hold treasures churned up by the waves.

What if I looked at the storms in my own life that way? Giving up some of my fear by remembering (anticipating, perhaps?) there may be some treasures churned up by the waves? I only have to look for them, to reach for them.

Despite what this painting revealed to me, a title did not shout its name to me. I believe that creative works are meant to shared, that they may hold healing or wisdom (or joy) for the community. In turn, I receive, and value, the insight from others. Among ideas that came forth were Brussels sprouts on a stalk, shells in a tide pool, and waves on a shore. Cool insights, but what do these have in common? It became clear from my friend Becky's comment, "I see people reaching out their arms."

And so the painting became REACH.


Waves reaching for the shore.  Brussels sprouts reaching for the sun.  Snails in a tidal pool reaching for food. People reaching for each other in love and comfort. After the storm there is sun and food and friends and family and community however you define it.  Treasures. Reach for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment